Saturday, 9 March 2013

Two Weeks in Thailand! Part One.

A two week winter holiday means one thing for me, going somewhere HOT! I was tired of the mild and balmy weather and ready for some sunshine. Though, I probably wont be saying that for much longer, and will probably be wishing for the opposite.

I am not a lay on the beach and  get a sun tan for 10 days kind of girl. I do enjoy the heat, mixed with cultural or environmental experiences, and a little surf and sand time is always welcome.

Two weeks is quite the long time to be away, so rather than giving you a day by day run down of what I did and ate I am going to provide you with a few Top 5 lists for your reading pleasure.

Top 5: Favorite Thai Foods to Eat

1.Pad Thai

This delicious and filling food is pretty decent anywhere you get it. A mixture of noodles, veggies, fried egg, and your choice of meat with a light sauce combine to make a tasty morsel! 

Yum. Yum. Yum
Make sure you use the four different accouterments that a solid pad thai place or cart provides you with (fish sauce, sugar, chilies and vinegar). They really change the taste of the dish as a whole - and you can change the dish to your specific taste. The best places to get Pad Thai are the street carts - I know, they look a little (okay, maybe a lot) dodgy but you just need to grin, pick one and go for it. DONT miss out. You will not regret it!

Some of the best places to eat street pad thai are along Kao San Road - there are tons of options and all busy enough to make you feel secure in eating their food. 

My rating: 5 Street cart vendors out of Five



2. Mangoes With Sticky Rice

Seriously, whoever came up with this delicious desert/snack has my eternal gratitude and is a genius. Mangoes on their own are delicious  and sticky rice a fantastic invention, combine the two together and add a little coconut milk and you have a scrumptious, refreshing and filling dish. 
Sweet and Creamy with a Grain supplement! YUMMY!

I personally like to cut up the mango and drench it in the coconut milk and then eat it with the sticky rice, but you have to find your own way with this one!

My rating: 5 peeled mangoes out of 5

3.Chicken and Pineapple, Baked in a Pineapple
Looks and tasted delectable!

So, I am not actually sure if this is a standard Thai dish, or the one restaurant we went to just happened to have it on their menu, BUT it was FANTASTIC. I love chicken, I love pineapple and this was just the perfect combination of the two. Not only does it combine the chicken and pineapple, but it also has rice, corn, raisins and some other veggies in it. Super YUM! I would eat it again for sure! Plus it looks cute, and who doesn't like cute looking food?

My rating: 4 baked pineapples out of 5







4. Thai Green Curry

My own creation in my cooking class!
WARNING: If you do not like spicy food make sure you tell your server for MILD spice. As a tourist you will get  the less spicy version anyway, but it can still pack a punch!

Green curry is made with green curry past, chilies, an assortment of veggies, coconut milk and meat. While the heat can be intense it is seriously tasty and you should 100% give it the ol' college try!

My rating: 5 Mini Egg plants out of 5

5. Spicy Fish Salad 

Warning: Only those who LOVE spice should attempt to eat!

A combination of all sorts of ocean creatures and, of course, veggies, mixed with a very SPICY dressing. Not for the cool of tongue.

HOT HOT HOT!




My rating: 5 Hot chillies out of 5


I hope that you enjoy some of these foods as much as I have!





No comments:

Post a Comment