Friday, 16 November 2012

On Going for Medicals

In order to obtain residency you have to under go some medical testing to ensure that you are healthy and capable of doing your work in Kuwait.

I have been anxiously awaiting my trip to visit the medical center for expats as I heard that it was quite the experience!


I was picked up by HR promptly at 10 AM to head to the Expat medical center.  The two men I was with were chatting in Arabic the whole time we were driving – a grand total of 3 minutes; seriously…I could have walked. I was not told where we were going and each stop I was not told what was happening.

There was a lot of snapping fingers  directed towards me, followed by curt, direct orders – stand here, Don’t move, Go, picture needs to taken by the HR department. My picture was taken so quickly I hardly knew what was going on…needless to say it’s not particularly pretty. 

I was rushed out of the photo store and told : “Come, this way.” The two men from HR kept jabbering on in Arabic, so while we were walking, I made up a conversation in my head for what they were saying; a highly entertaining way to pass the time!

As we approached the clinic I was nervous as to what to expect.  I had heard some pretty terrifying stories about what awaits inside.

When you walk up the entrance, you would not be able to tell that this is a medical facility, but for a slightly discernible sign telling you that it is. Your first steps into the center is down dimply lit concrete hill, with flickering lights no less.

Can anyone say horror story waiting to happen? Where are the vampires and werewolves? I was guided into the building, being told: ‘stand here, don’t move. Wait. Come. *snaps fingers* lets go. Don'y look at anyone, look at me.” This was especially hard, because as I was the only white woman in the clinic I was being stared at - by everyone.

When you enter the building there is an overwhelming stench of body odor and antiseptic, I almost retched as soon as we entered. Looking around you get the feeling of a dilapidated insane asylum from the 1950’s that has been just satisfactorily restored to be fit for use. On second thought…maybe not fit for use. 

There is a lot of waiting involved to get your medical done. We had to talk to multiple people to figure out where I was meant to go. Then when I was finally sent for a blood test, The Man I was with pushed me to the front of the line - in front of many eastern women who had been waiting for quite some time - and said "You, go. More important."  I felt so rude budding the line, I was ashamed to have done so. 

The next step is getting a chest X-ray. You have to exit the cave-like insane asylum to walk across a parking lot that is littered with bloody cotton balls from having blood taken, towards a structure that looks like a bomb shelter that has been abandoned for 20 years. 

Why is this so frightening? 

Again, I was told what to do, where to go. This I am thankful for, because I would have had no idea. I was pushed into a changing room, that reeked of body odor and, again had bloody cotton balls taped to the walls and littered all over the floor. Seriously, have you not heard of a garbage can?! I was pushed to the front of the line, rushed through - and that was that. Thankfully it was quite a short and painless experience - minus the smells and cleanliness.

I should mention, that where the medical procedures are completed are clean - its just the building around those rooms that aren't. 

With the company of three Arab men bossing me around, it truly wasn't so bad -  not an experience I would like to repeat anytime soon though!



No comments:

Post a Comment