Friday, 5 October 2012

Missing those SAB Sunsets.

This week was a LONG week. There are all sorts of preparations being done at school for upcoming events, tons of grading, and more planning that I thought possible.

It has also been a week of wistfully thinking about those Southern Alberta sunsets. They are stunning this time of year! The harvest is being brought in, and the colours in the sky are amazing!

 I had yet to see a truly amazing sunset, I had been complaining to The American about the lack of lustrous colours as the sun makes it's nightly descent.

It seemed that this was to be the week for amazing sunsets in AB. Friends from back home had been posting photo after photo of the beautiful sky. I was so jealous, I wanted to cry. It really is amazing WHAT you end up missing about home.

The American and I were exiting the mall. BAM, stunning sunset! They do exsist. I was SO happy to finally see one!


The picture does not do it justice, but it was beautiful. In the few minutes that we stood and watched the sun completely disappeared from view.  Just as in Greece the summer, the sun stays high up in the sky for a long time, and the suddenly falls into the horizon. So maybe it wasn't that there hadn't been amazing sunsets; perhaps it was a case of me missing them in the blink of an eye.

The Yankee and I were walking down by the beach the following day, and saw one of the MOST beautiful sunsets of my life. It rendered me speechless, and he did not have much to say either.

If there is one thing that will never cease to amaze me, it is the sun.

It wakes you up in the morning with its gentle rays saying 'good morning, sunshine.'

It warms you all day, a constant even when behind clouds because you know it is there. The very thought of the sun has a warming effect. In the winter, on the coldest, darkest days we crave the sun, wishing for it's warmth. We know it is there waiting behind a cloud for the perfect moment to shine. We know it will always come back to us.

It falls from the sky on a beautiful journey to bid us adieu, a demain, each and every day. If ever the is an unchanging, and yet everchanging, constant in our lives, it is the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment